Other Guelph Landscaping Services
Other than landscape design and construction, we also offer other relevant landscaping services. Being a full house landscaping company ensures you do not have to hire different companies for different tasks, giving you convenience and cost benefits. Below are the other services we offer:
We make broom finished, exposed aggregate and pour it in place on site. Concrete is a long lasting yet inexpensive material that is ideal for walkways, driveways, stairs, walls, and patios. The fact that concrete is poured while still ‘fluid’ means it can form different shapes and take different sizes. The process of using concrete in our landscapes includes:
- Painting to mark the area where concrete is to be poured
- Excavating the base and compacting the area with gravel
- Building wood forms and leveling them in place
- Adding mesh or re-rod on top of the base
- Pouring of high strength concrete
- Giving the concrete the desired finishing using floats and concrete trowels
A float is a concrete leveling tool that has a flat component made of either wood or metal. It measures about a foot long and several inches wide and is attached to a handle. When smoothing the aggregate, we apply enough pressure, pushing down the aggregate and allowing water in the concrete to rise to the surface and to dry.
Once the concrete is dry, we remove the dry wood forms and then make relief cuts using a grinder and a cut-off saw. This is done to reduce the risk of cracking.
Broom or brush finishing is done on troweled concrete once it has dried a little. It produces light texture lines. We can also forgo the trowel and drag the broom across the poured concrete if you want a deeper texture. Our team is skilled enough to make creative patterns with the broom if you want something fancy.
Broom finishing is done because poured concrete has a smooth finish. Most Guelph residents prefer brushed finishes for driveways and other landscape features because it is safer to walk and stand on when wet. Guelph is characterized by cold winters, warm, humid summers, and moderately high snowfall and rainfall. Compared to a broom finish, exposed aggregate also tends to suffer greater freeze/thaw damage. We carefully put broom finishes in a way that guides water away towards a runoff area or a drain. A rough broom finish is, therefore, a necessity.
Broom finished, exposed aggregate is similar to pre-formed concrete, but it is not as strong. To add to its strength for use in driveways, walkways, and other high traffic areas, we use interlocking stones accented with asphalt (a mixture of gravel and tar).
We have the equipment and experience of making asphalt. The pouring of asphalt is similar to that of pouring broom finished, exposed aggregate, starting with excavation and then compacting the area with a gravel base. Once the asphalt has been poured, it is rolled into place using machine rollers.
Lighting is an important part of landscaping. Good lighting turns your yard into a beautiful haven at night and has not only aesthetic value but also functional value. As an example, proper lighting allows you to hold barbecues at night or to read a book on the patio on a warm evening.
We primarily use LED multi-color systems. The LEDs can be hidden, they can Bluetooth controlled, they can come with automatic sensors to automatically come on at night and turn off at daybreak, among many other features depending on what you want to achieve with your landscape design.
LED (Light-Emitting Diode) lights are unlike standard incandescent and halogen bulbs that heat a filament to produce light. They are electronic and they emit light when electrical current passes through them. We encourage the use of LED lighting in landscapes because:
LED landscape lighting saves you up to 80% in energy costs compared to traditional incandescent and halogen lighting. This is because LED lights use very low voltage and consequently less electricity. This means if your landscape lighting costs you $100 in monthly bills, you will use an impressive 20$ on LED lighting.
You also save money because LED lights last longer than incandescent and halogen lights. This durability is because LED lights don’t use filaments or neon gas and are not encapsulated in glass (they are solid state lights). In traditional lights, the filaments naturally degrade with time. LED lights can stand up to constant vibration, serious temperature fluctuations, and shock. It is not uncommon to get LED bulbs with a manufacturer warranty for 7 years (or 50,000 hours). This means 17 to 20 years when the bulbs are running for an average of 8 hours a night.
Given that LED landscape lighting is low voltage and consumes less electricity, using it means you will be doing your part in conserving the environment. LED technology does not use mercury or other toxic elements, and recycling is easier because there are no special recycling instructions.
LED lights convert 95% of energy into light and only 5% is wasted as heat. In comparison, incandescent lights only covert 5% of energy into light and the other 95% is wasted as heat. This ratio means LED bulbs are cool to the touch and will not burn your skin, making them ideal for low hanging areas.
Due to the popularity of LED technology today, there is an LED replacement for every lighting fixture, making retrofitting your current lighting system with LED lighting to be easy, quick, and cheap.
LED lighting gives you reduced light pollution because the technology allows you to cast out directional light. Your neighbors will not complain of blinding light preventing them from sleeping properly. The directional light also allows you to have greater control over how your home exterior looks at night.
The LEDs of old came in a white-bluish hue and you had little options available, but those days are long gone. Today’s LED bulbs emit the full spectrum of light, just like sun’s rays. LED bulbs today can give you the same warm, pleasing hue you get from halogen.
An LED bulb of a small size will give the same amount of light as an incandescent bulb that is much bigger. This gives you flexibility on where you can install the light.
CRI (Color Rendering Index) is the ability of light to reveal the actual color of an object compared to natural light. LEDs have a very high CRI rating.
Outdoor lighting attracts pesky insects that are not only annoying, but that also block the light and make the landscape unusable for events. These insects are attracted by the UV light emitted by halogen bulbs. Since LEDs do not emit this type of UV light, you will not have a problem with bugs.
The most common uses of LED lighting are accenting walls, patios, trees, garden beds, the driveway, walkways, and other landscape fixtures. Our LED systems can be used both in winter and summer months. We can give you a quote for LED lighting as we start a landscaping project. If you have an existing landscape, we can also do lighting to complement the design.
Fire pits are a popular landscape fixture in Guelph. At M.D.S. Projects Ltd., we build both built-in-ground fire pits and above-ground fire pits. Some clients opt for fire pits made of interlocking stone while others opt for natural stone.
Fire pits are fire holes that are designed to contain a fire and to prevent it from spreading. We make pre-made/pre-cast fire pits that you only need to install once on site. To fire the fire pit, we give you the option of a natural wood-burning fire pit or a gas line.
Our gas-powered fire pits are made of metal or pre-cast concrete or a combination of stone and a metal table. Our wood-powered fire pits are made of metal. For our wood fire pits, we take care to reduce air particulate emissions and fire bans.
We know there are many unregulated and uncertified fire pit burners in the market today, but ours are CSA certified and they are strictly made using the set standards. As an example, our fire pits have the recommended clearance to combustibles of at least 5 feet above the flame and they have a 16” circumference. We will maintain a distance of 10 feet between the fire pit and your neighbor’s yard. We also ensure that our wood burning pits are located at least 3 meters (10 feet) from the nearest structure for safety reasons.
The greatest benefits of fire pits include:
- They increase the resale value of your home. If you don’t have a pool, a roaring fire from a fire pit is a great alternative to create a focal point where people can gather around. Whether it is a primal memory or the hypnotic dancing flames, people love gathering around a fire. A fire pit helps sell a home and is definitely cheaper than having a pool.
- Guelph weather can be unforgiving, characterized by cold nights most days of the year. A fire pit warms the yard up and makes it usable.
- The fire from a fire pit is great for roasting meat, marshmallows, kabobs, and other foods. With a fire pit, you can host an event without needing to go to and from the kitchen.
- We make customized fire pits. This gives your landscape a unique look and feel. It also ensures your landscape matches your specific preferences and tastes.
- If you don’t want to incur additional energy costs on your landscape, a fire pit is a perfect solution since it will light up the night.
If you want a functional landscape, consider creating an outdoor kitchen and/or bar. This allows you to host guests outside. We have many outdoor kitchen ideas for you to choose from. Your choice should be based on the intended use, your preference, and the general theme of the yard. We make everything from rustic kitchens to reclaimed wood kitchens and everything in between. You should consider having an outdoor kitchen because:
Outdoor kitchens are particularly good ideas if the size of your living room does not allow you to host too many guests and you are blessed with a large yard. An outdoor kitchen and bar allow the entire family or you and the friends in attendance to participate in the food and drink making for greater bonding that you could never achieve indoors, where food and drinks are prepared and brought out.
Grilling, baking, broiling, and frying food outdoors during the summer months means you will not use AC in the house, which means reduced energy costs.
Some foods smell delicious while they are cooking while some do not. If your food is the latter, an outdoor kitchen is a perfect solution. Many people are offended by the smell of odiferous foods like deep-fried items and fish which linger for days.
Guelph has many majestic homes. An outdoor kitchen and/or bar is just what you need to have an edge over your neighbors if you are looking to sell your home.
If you want more space but you don’t want to bring down walls for the extra room, all you need is a covered patio connecting your main house with an outdoor kitchen or bar.
Grilling not only gives you tastier food, but it also gives you healthier food because fat drips off the meat, giving you fewer calories.
Our outdoor kitchen/bar service includes the making of the structure to house the kitchen/bar, the laying of electrical wiring and drainage, and then the installation of fridges, drinks tap, stove elements, barbeque stands, ice bins, skinks, and lighting. The structure often includes storage where you can keep your drinks, non-perishables, cooking ware and other items.
When making the structure, we ensure there is as much view of the outside as possible, even as we make it a distinct and secured structure. We give you a variety of countertop options ranging from marble, concrete, and granite. We make sides using natural stone, wood, interlocking stone, stone veneer, or composite. The choice is based on your budget and the rest of the landscape and outdoor décor.
Custom Wood Structures (Decks & Fences)
We make custom wood structures, particularly decks and fences. Custom decks and fences ensure your landscape is unique. Customization also ensures your decks and fences blend into the rest of the landscape seamlessly.
We make our custom decks and fences using cedar, sienna brown pressure-treated wood, or composite. Sienna brown pressure-treated wood is particularly good for cabanas (solid rood supported by 4 posts) and pergolas (open roof structure made with 4 posts). So, why wood for decks and fences?
- Wood is the most affordable decking and fencing material.
- Wood makes for beautiful, aesthetically pleasing decks and fences.
- Properly treated wood will last for years, requiring treatment only once every few years.
- There are many wood stains and color options available to choose from and you can change the look of your deck and fence, and ultimately your landscape, quickly and cheaply.
- Wood decks and fences are easy to install. The installation makes for the perfect DIY project.
Water Features (Ponds & Waterfalls)
A water feature, be it a pond or a waterfall, really makes a landscape stand out. Water features make for great focal points around which everything else can be created. Including water features in your landscape design has other unexpected benefits:
- Water features bring the sound of nature to your doorstep. Nothing is as soothing and relaxing as the sound of water after a hard day at work.
- Water attracts natural wildlife. You will start seeing birds, dragonflies, lizards, and other animals on your yard. With a water feature, you will be doing your part in enhancing the local ecosystem.
- You do not need too much space for a water feature. If you do not have too much space, we can make you a great well-designed pond-less water element. We also turn ill-used areas into beautiful focal points using water features.
- Water features require little maintenance. Unlike swimming pools, pond-less water features can give you the natural sounds, visual interest, and texture of water with little effort.
- A waterfall reduces noise pollution originating from the surroundings.
- A birdbath helps keep the soil aerated and it attracts insects which help in cross-pollination.
- Water from a water feature gives you improved air quality. When water evaporates, the vapor filters the air by reducing pollutants.
- We create customized water features, giving you a one-of-a-kind landscape.
We make bubbler rock features, pongs built using natural stones, and waterfalls made or natural or interlocking stones. To make the water feature really stand out, we often include custom lighting.
Pools and Spas
If you have space (and the money), a pool or a spa is a good, functional addition to your landscape. Our team has the training and experience necessary to make pools and spas using different types of materials, the most common being vinyl-lined, concrete, and fiberglass. Vinyl-lined pools and spas give you a wide variety of colors and patterns to choose from while fiberglass pools and spas give you a wide variety of colors and textures. Concrete is the most expensive and has variety like infinity pools and it can be any shape that can be designed and formed.
We create pools and spas in different shapes and sizes, depending on the size of the yard, your budget, the age of family members, and other factors. We can also do custom lighting for your pool or spa.
Having a pool on your backyard allows you to have fun times outdoors with your family. On the other hand, an outdoor spa offers a haven where you can go to rejuvenate your mind and body after a hard day at work. If you have a young family and pets, we provide pool covers to prevent accidental drowning of kids and pets. Other than having fun swimming and basking outdoors and rejuvenating your body and soul, outdoor pools and spas have other unexpected benefits:
- Improved health: Pools and spas help you reduce the negative effects of stress. Stress is a major cause of many mental and physical health problems like heart disease, hypertension, depression, insomnia, arthritis, and joint and muscle pain. Hydrotherapy from spas and aquatic exercises in pools helps improve blood circulation, it boosts your confidence and mood, and it reduces stress.
- Entertaining guests: With an outdoor pool, you don’t have to think too hard of activities to engage in when hosting guests. Other than engaging in water sports, a pool forms the perfect backdrop to hold BBQs and dinner parties.
- Boosting curb appeal: If you ever want to sell your home, you will not struggle to find a buyer if you have a pool and/or a spa. Pools and spas also increase the resale value of your home.
- A reason to stay home: A swimming pool or a spa gives you a reason to stay home. Without them, you will most likely end up in a bar or visiting a friend during your free time. Staying at home allows you to spend time and bond with your family.
- Low impact exercise: Compared to common fitness activities like running and jogging, swimming puts only ¼ of the strain on your body. Swimming is a great cardiovascular exercise. It also helps build stamina and strengthens the muscle.
- Year-round enjoyment: Even if Guelph is known for its cold weather, you can still enjoy your pool throughout the year by heating it. You can also enjoy your spa throughout the year.
- Affordable entertainment: Pool maintenance costs are high, but you will find paying to swim elsewhere could just be as expensive. Outdoor spas cost way less compared to a spa treatment in a getaway somewhere. You also avoid all the sanitation issues associated with public pools and spas.